Created by beeng, Viper007Bond & liquidat0r
IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat. IRC consists of networks (ex: irc.gamesurge.net) and channels on those networks (ex: #bf2s on irc.gamesurge.net). Channels are 'chat rooms' inside the network.
To connect to IRC you generally need to download and install a client.
PJIRC is an awesome Java IRC client that'll allow you to get on IRC from your web browser. You need to have Java installed to get it to work though.
You will need to find a copy of PJIRC hosted out on the web somewhere. You can join #bf2s in your web browser now thanks to Viper007Bond.
Below are a few IRC clients. Once you have downloaded and installed the client continue down this page to find a how-to-connect tutorial.
Silverex is a free client based on XChat. Download and install silverex at their website http://www.silverex.org/download/
This tutorial refers to the latest version of Xchat. Some aspects may be different to silverex
A server list should pop up the first time you run XChat. If the list does not pop up, select “Server List” from the “XChat” menu. Under “User Information” enter in a username, and two alternate choices in case your nickname is already taken. Enter in two more names in “User name” and “Real name”. These identify you to the server for administration purposes.
To connect to the bf2s IRC channel scroll down the networks list and select “Gamesurge”. You may need to add Gamesurge to your list. Once Gamesurge is selected hit “Edit”. The only options you should be concerned with for the moment are “Auto connect to this server on startup” and “Channels to join”. If you wish to automatically connect to the server when you start XChat select “Auto connect to server on startup”. Channels are different “chat rooms” on each server. To connect to the bf2s channel enter ”#bf2s” in the “Channels to join” list.
If Gamesurge is not already on the list:
- From the Xchat main screen. Click 'Add server'.
- Replace “New Network” with “Gamesurge”. Now press 'Edit'
- On the window that pops up: Selece “newserver/6667” and press 'Edit'.
- Replace “newserver/6667” with “irc.gamesurge.net”
- Now check the tick box next to 'Auto connect to server on startup'.
- Enter ”#bf2s” into the 'Channels to join' field. Now press 'Close'
- Make sure 'Gamesurge' is selected in the main window and press connect.
XChat is now configured to automatically connect to Gamesurge and join the bf2s channel on startup.
Once you've configured everything to your liking select Gamesurge from the server list and hit connect. A bunch of mumbo-jumbo information will scroll by your XChat window. Once it has connected to the server and joined the bf2s channel it should say “You are now talking on #bf2s”.
Gamesurge also offer an authentication service, in which you can register your nick name and be added to the user list on #bf2s. Visit Gamesurge account registration for more information
1. Get the latest version of mIRC and install it.
2. Open up mIRC and type this into the little box at the bottom:
Code: /server irc.gamesurge.net
If you're already using mIRC and on another network, you can open the connection to Gamesurge in a new window (so you don't disconnect from the other server) by adding a ”-m” like this: Code: /server -m irc.gamesurge.net
3. Once you're connected to Gamesurge, you'll need to choose a nickname:
Code: /nick IRCNoob
4. Now all that's left is to join the BF2S channel. You can do that via this command:
Code: /join #bf2s
Trillian is a multi-network IM client that supports AIM, MSN, ICQ, Yahoo, the Jabber protocol, and IRC.
1. Get Trillian if you don't already have it and install it.
2. Open up your connection manager and add a new IRC connection:
- Server Alias: Gamesurge - Server address: irc.gamesurge.net:6667 - Nickname/Username: IRCNoob
3. Click the little white circle thing and select “Join a channel”. Type ”#bf2s” into that box.
You can now talk by entering text into the bar at the bottom of the window beside your name.